Sunday, April 9, 2017

Disappearing Act

I just posted a saved draft that I actually wrote six years ago, but it still applies today. Unfortunately, I've seriously neglected this thing, and I'd like to get back on track with blogging. I need to focus on my brand and put myself out there, even if no one is listening at first.

A lot has happened since I last updated; six years is a long time! I moved to L.A. in 2014, and I've been working as hard as ever on my writing. Currently waiting to see if I get into my dream school, trying not to hold my breath. It's a writing intensive program, and it looks amazing. It's very competitive, though, and... well, there's a whole story behind my application experience, but we'll save that for another day.

Over the last few years, I've had a short story and poem published. I finished my first novel. I've written scripts and worked at a film company. I've even finally learned to be proud of myself and accept that I'm a talented writer. It only took years of people telling me so to get there. Hurray. But seriously, in 2015, I noticed that I'd reached a new level of improvement, and I think that was part of my confidence. I suddenly didn't feel jealous of other writers anymore. I started to believe I could write whatever I wanted.

There will always be ups and downs, and the writer's ego is a desperately fragile and needy thing, but I believe in myself. It doesn't hurt, either, that a lot of other people believe in me too. So here I am, ready to take on the world. If I don't pass out first. Why am I so sleepy?

Right now, I have a million projects, as usual, but I'm making steady progress on my social satire/dark comedy, Headline Babies. It's the project I'd been reaching for over the years, and I finally came up with the ideal concept for what I wanted to do. Here's hoping I can finish this thing soon. The chapters are very structured due to the nature of the novel, and I'm at nearly 50K, but I'm thinking my estimation of 90K-100K is now a little low for this draft. I have no idea how much longer this is going to take.

At any rate, time to get back to writing. Or sleeping. I never feel like I've slept enough. Why isn't the caffeine helping???!!

Thanks for reading, and happy writing!

2 comments:

  1. That moment when you stop comparing yourself to every other writer on the planet is so great. It really frees you.

    I hope you get into your dream school--I'm starting to put in some grad school applications myself and I'm remembering why applying for my bachelor's was so stressful :P Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elysia,
    I am Dan of the editorial team of JustFiction Publishing, a publishing house specializing in publishing novels, fiction, poetry and short stories of all genres from new, aspiring and experienced authors.
    I liked your post! Writing is hard (understatement) but keep at it! Would you consider starting a conversation about possibly publishing your work with us? You can reach me at d.[my surname]@justfiction-edition.com
    I'd be delighted to tell you more about us!

    ReplyDelete